- Salary: Negotiable
- Years of Experience: 1 - 3 Years
- Education: Certification Required
- Position Type: Full Time
- Review loans for risk analysis and compliance with agency and investor guidelines.
- Render loan approval decisions within the appropriate timeframe of 48 hours while meeting quantity and quality standards of at least four new loans per day averaged on a monthly basis in addition to resubmissions and no major exceptions.
- Use of automated underwriting systems in determining risk, salability and reduced documentation for borrowers and review of data accuracy as input in Calyx Point or Encompass, LP and DU
- Underwrites FHA loans, VA loans and reviews LTV ratios, credit reports and applications as well as an understanding of the appraisal review process.
- A thorough working knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures in the underwriting field.
- Clear, concise and appropriate conditioning of loans when rendering decisions.
- Accept and accurately maintain loan file as it pertains to underwriting documents.
- Mentor processing staff on underwriting deficiencies and calculation errors. Keep management informed of specific ongoing issues that need immediate attention.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum three years as an Underwriter
- DE Certification with current government underwriting experience
- VA LAPP/SARR Certified
- Demonstrated knowledge of tax return analysis for self-employed borrowers
- Perform accurate analysis of loan files and effectively transmit underwriting decision to production/processing staff both orally and in writing
- Working knowledge of DU, LP, Total Scorecard
- Strong computer background and demonstrates technical knowledge and exhibits confidence, positive attitude and firmness of position
- Considers new ideas, views of others, or divergent points of view
- Demonstrates skill in developing improvements in work method or designing new procedures
- Performs work with appropriate accuracy and strives for quality in work produced
- Completes projects and can be counted on to be on the job and fulfill assigned job tasks
- Regular interaction with Ownership, Sales, Pipeline and Processing team members.
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate
- Ability to work independently and display initiative and sound judgment in all actions
- Follow directions from and interact well with mortgage associates
- Possess positive and professional attitude and represent company in a positive manner
- Provide outstanding customer service, work well under pressure and be a team player
- Possess excellent organization and analytical skills
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Accept constructive criticism
About Meridian Home Mortgage
What do professional massages, BBQ food trucks, omelet waffle bars, and wine paint nights have in common? Together, they are a part of the many events that Meridian Home Mortgage has hosted for employees this year.
Why did we do this? Because exceptional customer service and performance starts with employee health and happiness. Investing in our company culture, benefits plans, and staff development has always been a high priority within Meridian. Our 97% retention rate speaks to our success in creating an exceptional work environment for employees.
At Meridian, we preach true work-life balance for personal time management. We offer generous PTO packages and 100% company-paid health benefits to keep employees at the top of their games emotionally and physically.
Overall, there’s a reason the Baltimore Business Journal awarded Meridian first place in their 2017 Best Places to Work contest. Apply today and let us know how you can make our award-winning team even better.