- Salary: Negotiable
- Years of Experience: 1 - 3 Years
- Education: Certification Required
- Position Type: Full Time
- Review loans for risk analysis and compliance with agency and investor guidelines.
- Render loan approval decisions within the appropriate timeframe of 48 hours while meeting quantity and quality standards of at least four new loans per day averaged on a monthly basis in addition to resubmissions and no major exceptions.
- Use of automated underwriting systems in determining risk, salability and reduced documentation for borrowers and review of data accuracy as input in Calyx Point or Encompass, LP and DU
- Underwrites FHA loans, VA loans and reviews LTV ratios, credit reports and applications as well as an understanding of the appraisal review process.
- A thorough working knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures in the underwriting field.
- Clear, concise and appropriate conditioning of loans when rendering decisions.
- Accept and accurately maintain loan file as it pertains to underwriting documents.
- Mentor processing staff on underwriting deficiencies and calculation errors. Keep management informed of specific ongoing issues that need immediate attention.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum three years as an Underwriter
- DE Certification with current government underwriting experience
- VA LAPP/SARR Certified
- Demonstrated knowledge of tax return analysis for self-employed borrowers
- Perform accurate analysis of loan files and effectively transmit underwriting decision to production/processing staff both orally and in writing
- Working knowledge of DU, LP, Total Scorecard
- Strong computer background and demonstrates technical knowledge and exhibits confidence, positive attitude and firmness of position
- Considers new ideas, views of others, or divergent points of view
- Demonstrates skill in developing improvements in work method or designing new procedures
- Performs work with appropriate accuracy and strives for quality in work produced
- Completes projects and can be counted on to be on the job and fulfill assigned job tasks
- Regular interaction with Ownership, Sales, Pipeline and Processing team members.
Characteristics of Ideal Candidate
- Ability to work independently and display initiative and sound judgment in all actions
- Follow directions from and interact well with mortgage associates
- Possess positive and professional attitude and represent company in a positive manner
- Provide outstanding customer service, work well under pressure and be a team player
- Possess excellent organization and analytical skills
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- Accept constructive criticism
About Meridian Home Mortgage
We started off as a small, family-owned mortgage company in 2001. Over the years, we have organically grown through a recession into a trusted Carroll County business that employs over 100 people. We have done this by keeping one main goal in mind: treat every family the way we would like ours to be treated.
We aim to better the lives of people, especially veterans, and we put our money where our mouths are by paying all upfront fees for our refinance customers. We take care of our customers, and our A+ Better Business Bureau Rating is the result of that dedication.
True work-life balance is important, and our teams excel at personal time management. We also provide 100% company-paid health benefits for employees and family members.
Our dedication to a supportive company culture contributed to us being the winner of the Baltimore Business Journal’s Best Places to Work Award in 2017. We were also honored with the 2008 & 2010 Inc. 5000 Award for being one of the fastest-growing and most innovative, privately-held companies in America. And, we keep growing and improving.
If you feel you are the right candidate to join our expanding team, then please apply so we can get started building something even better together!